I am finding it
difficult to start this letter. I’ve attempted 4 times. In fact, I’m finding it
difficult to start anything other than laundry. I’ve pinned a lot of
aspirations on exceptional mothering and homemaking. But, wow…did you hear that
we now have 4 kids? It seems like mere survival at this time. During this
season in my life all I can accomplish is composure and an inventory of
TP. Trying to find myself is a task in
and of itself, but very necessary for Christmas card writing. I mean, who wants
to read something without heart & thoughtful content? So, here we go….
Christmas
Greetings to you! We hope this finds you happy & healthy. I am glad to
report that we are happy & healthy as well.
We began the year with the thrilling announcement “We are pregnant!”.
Tori Jean Howorth was born September 20th. We are indulging in all
that comes along with a newborn baby. I highly recommend holding a newborn
whenever you get the chance. It does the heart good. The boys are smothering
big brothers and Tori seems to like all the attention.
Tyler is 5 and in
kindergarten. Unlike his brothers, he comes home from school singing songs.
He’ll take 5 minutes to report his thoughts on a topic, and a few episodes of
Tom & Jerry is his constant afternoon ritual. If you invite him over to
your home he will jump on your furniture, may even do a backflip. We’ve told
him not to… but, it is his “thing”.
Toby just turned
9 and is in 3rd grade. He is an early riser. Just the other day,
after a 6 am booktime, he stretched and sighed “reading is such a good way to
start the day”. My child said this? I can take no credit. Toby proves every day
that he is unique. His interests are self-born. Although, he does share the
love of surfing with his dad and has taken on basketball like his older
brother.
Tim is 12 and in
jr high. He is our young bachelor about. Already proficient at cooking
breakfast, brewing coffee, and walking the dog. We are raising adults, not
kids, yet recently I have flashbacks by just watching him sit across from me.
It’s like Tim the 3 year old emerges and is trying to read a silly book …but
now in a very deep baritone voice. Gosh, I wish you all could see him play
basketball, too.
And then there’s
us. Oh yeah, us. James & I want to do things and try to do things, but we
are just living each day for our kids and work. It must be the self-sacrificing
years. We cannot be distracted with much else. Otherwise we’d miss out on what
is important …what is right here. We do plan to get away soon, just the two of
us. Next year will be our 15 year anniversary and also my 40th
birthday, plus we have a life to celebrate. This life. This abundant life.
Now, how do I end
this note? I really want to see you all and catch up in person. Ideally we’d
share a Christmas mug of spiked cocoa and sit near a cozy fire…. If I could
manage that alone I’d call it
a success. So, instead, I’ll end with a blessing of peace on your home and
family. May this new year, and all that it offers, be sweet and full of enough grace
to face it.
With all the love we can muster, Merry
Christmas!
Love, Team Howorth
No comments:
Post a Comment