My Husband, James, asked me the other day, "Does it feel like Christmas to you?"
I replied, "Is it supposed to? We are the adults orchestrating all the "Christmas" for everyone else." Then, this evening, at church my pastor asked "What does joy feel like?" and he continued to present the idea that joy is childlike....
There it is. Childlike, not childish, nor adultish. Childlike. Playful, cooperative, innocent. Wide eyed and mesmerized. Hopeful and believable. Expectant.
Christmas is a time to reflect on all the goodness from the year rather than be caught up in all the duty and demands of adulthood. It is a reminder that great things are possible and wonderful, powerful love has been brought to earth. Christmas is joy fulfilled.
Let me report some goodness.....
We bought a home in September and we are glad to own again....and not ever need to move. One can only hope this statement is truth.
James is really enjoying his work as a Mortgage Banker with JMJ Financial. Now that we own a home again, he looks forward to replenishing a toylist of motorcycles and standup paddleboards this next year as the commissions come in. He works hard to support us all, I hope he has the chance to reward himself!
Tim is 14 and in 8th grade. He is an amazing athlete. Even though I think that word "amazing" is severely overused in our day & age, it still applies to our son. And I will brag about him. Next year he will start high school football and I will be that nutty mom in a bling jersey with his number on it....hope for #20! Meanwhile, he skateboards and looks for some sort of employer that will hire a 14yo.
Toby is 11 and in 5th grade. Reads for pleasure, and makes high marks in language arts. Right now his sport is rugby. In the summer it was swimming. Next summer it may be water polo (fingers crossed). He is an all around athlete and slighty bossy. I know with a few humbling life lessons he will become a wise leader to lead some sort of team to some sort of success.
Tyler is 7 and in 2nd grade. He thinks he flies under the radar. He tries to sneak junk food while he thinks we aren't looking. He has a sharp wit and great one-liners. He, also, is a task master. When he needs to get a job done he will run circles around his brothers to accomplish it. But, he doesn't try to impress anyone, except his teachers, which, in the end, impresses me thoroughly.
Tori is 2. Our girl! She is a buster. Cordial and sweet while busy and curious. Her one downfall is her appreciation of "Caillou" and how she must watch that tv show in heavy doses. Upcoming news...diapers will soon be a thing of the past. Am I sick to consider that bittersweet?
As for me, Stefani, I am knee deep in hope to have this house become a home. I confess I am a bit caught up in what I don't have, like furniture, and I know I am a little self-involved right now. I keep explaining it to others with the analogy of washing a car....if you wash your car you think it somehow runs better....if I renovate & furnish our new house it may feel a bit more like our own. We'll see. It is an overwhelming, all-consuming task, but so glad to have this as my short list of issues and circumstances to deal with.
As for experiencing Christmas like a child, we are trying to shed our weary adult mindsets and look for the moments that are joyful. With our eyes wide open we try to take in all that this Christmas reveals. With 2015 fast approaching we are also hopeful of what might lie ahead. Blessings to you & your family. May your Christmas experience be childlike......
love, the Howorths
No comments:
Post a Comment