I decided to bring my 3rd grader home mid year to get a hands on idea of what homeschooling really involved. He was doing very well in school. But, I knew he could accomplish more. I also knew that it wasn't a critical academic year for him and if I failed, he would, at the very least, still know his math facts.
I have been open to homeschooling since before I had kids. I had tossed the idea around for years and met with ESs (educational supervisors) and other homeschooling moms. I am really drawn to the whole idea. I even called myself a "closet homeschool mom" since I would require geography, reading, and math over the summers. Even after all my inquiries and interviews of those in homeschool circles, I still hadn't a true grasp of what it was all about. What does it take to be a homeschool mom? Would I juggle all 4 kids' subject loads? Will I ever have a home with the idyllic homeschool room dedicated to the betterment of my special little offspring? I decided "the ideal time may not ever arrive, so, let's give it a go & give it my best." We started homeschooling in January. We started small. My neighbor down the street homeschools her 5 kids, pre K to Freshman, so I had my own personal mentor on a regular basis. We called her my "Obi Wan". I figured I would just follow her model and tweak things to fit our preferences. If I was really serious about this for the future, I would launch out on my own then. But, for the initial trial, why not just mirror a successful model? She introduced me to some wonderful resources and one of the Public Charter Schools. This allowed me to teach what I would like within the 6 subjects (Math, Language Arts, Social Science, Science, Life Skills, and Special Interest) required by the State of California. I signed up with the Charter School and received funds for approved supplemental classes, materials, learning tools, etc. I personally gravitated to unit studies and enjoyed learning alongside my son. We studied California's Gold Rush, Oceans, Easter, Auto Racing, and finished with a virtual study on Germany. Also, every Monday he attended supplemental classes (Science, Art, PE) and I was pleased to have the extra science class to support what we did at home.
- My Pros & Cons
The GREAT thing about homeschooling is if you want to explore the infinite topics of your interest....YOU CAN. It is limitless. If you want to take field trips for every interest that arises....YOU CAN. If your child loses interest with one topic you can move on to what does captivate them. If your child remains intrigued by a certain aspect of study you can dive deeper. It is a great pace. The unfortunate reality is I couldn't follow through on some of those extra awesome endeavors or spend the endless moments hovering over the aspects that captivated him. I shyed away from science experiments in my kitchen. We had all intentions of beginning each day with physical activity, but most days were in front of a computer for 2 1/2 hours. I missed recess. He said he didn't, but I know he needed breaks. I fell short in offering art supplies and art direction. I would've loved to have taken more field trips, too. We intend to follow through on some leftover items like skyping our friend who lives in Germany. That would be a techy way to finish up that study, how fun! We'll see if I get to it....it is now mid June.
- Reinventing the Wheel
- Schedules... Pick Your Poison
The whole experience was a treasure, a treasure in a very heavy chest. It takes commitment, discipline, and effort. Yes, there is an attractive freedom. There is not an outside source setting a schedule, but, you have to be diligent with homeschooling and you end up with a schedule all your own. Our mornings started after the other 2 were off to school and IF the babe was on her way to a nap. Otherwise I was juggling. My son did a software program for math and was self directed with that. Then we would sit together and read through the interactive unit study. If I needed to steal away, he would work on his own....look up vocabulary words, or take a math facts quiz, or do a workbook called "Word A Day", stuff like that. I had to keep on him and train him to be self disciplined. This was the most wearisome part for me. I found that I spent my mornings patrolling him. Some mornings he would surprise me with some self motivated ambition, but, most of the time I had to be vigilant. He did find solace in reading, which helped. For the most part, our mornings were dedicated to his studies. If I ran errands or chose to do something for myself, his work slipped away into oblivion. We managed to make some compromises, like going out for a morning coffee (for me) and a bagel (for him) and we'd bring the mini ipad since they provided WiFi. We would be able to investigate things pertaining to the unit study or watch educational episodes, like Brain Pop, Jr. We affectionately referred to this as "going to the office".
- Take Your Supplements
By the end of our 6 month experiment I sat on a figurative fence. I struggled with loving the idea of homeschooling vs. loving a well balanced life. I gave up a lot of good things to devote myself to my child's studies. Some may see that as noble. I gave up weekly grocery shopping and meal planning, weekly bible study, and sometimes daily hygiene, to name a few. My husband & I did not see this as noble. We saw this as foolish. If our homschooling resulted with an average student, malnourished family, an uninspired woman, and an unattractive wife.....what was the point? Now, this is my experience. I believe I did this whole thing without a true calling to it. Those who have, what Christians refer to as, a "calling" are not performing in vain. I have exponential reverence for that. I have watched some of my friends homeschool over the years and have only applause and admiration for them. They thrived, as well as their children, and benefitted beyond measure. I see evidence of their "calling". I also experienced times in my life where I had true peace in what I was doing. I was a swim instructor with my own business and contracts with pools. Several years of business and not one check bounced. I considered this a sign of grace and peace over my work. I had confidence in what I was doing and that I was doing what I was made for. That was a "calling". This became the litmus test for my life decisions. I always look for signs of peace in the midst of my work. Not the absence of challenge, but the evidence of peace. I had very little peace during this past 6 months. That was undeniable. It is a desire of my heart to expand my kids' academic exposure. I also have the desire for confident peace. That peace that assures you "yes, this is what you are supposed to be doing" and "don't give up or give in" and "I wouldn't want to be anywhere else but here". The past 6 months seemed hectic. So, with the support of my husband who was neutral, really, and left the decision up to me, I decided not to homeschool during the elementary years. I am more than happy with their public educations, programs, and sense of community at that level. I will continue to supplement their academics during the summer. I thoroughly enjoy supplementing and find it a creative outlet for me, as well. As for the Jr High experience I have left homeschooling as an option for all my kids. My oldest son wants to come home for a year and then return for 8th grade. Even he is aware there are programs that he wants to take part in both at home and the following public school year. I am fully supportive of his wishes and looking forward to expanding his horizons. Not to mention, I don't mind him dodging that awkward middle school grief.
I believe it was Doug Fields that said "you have to say 'no' to some good things in order to say 'yes' to great things". I found peace in my decision. I am so glad that my husband smiles upon my decision, too. When you take on your heart's dream it is always a blessing that your spouse is an encouragement. There is a still, small voice in me that is re-awakening, re-emerging from a dormant season of duty and demand. I stifled this voice for a season. Crowded it out with ceaseless activity. Another quote I heard during this trial was "We can spend a lifetime on the urgent and miss the important" (Mary Southerland). This struck a chord in me. That voice is now reminding me that I am uniquely gifted. There are great things ahead for me and my family. I have a fun, enchanting future awaiting me. I am so glad I ran this course and I reached its end. It's summer now. Rest calls. Time to spare myself & family from the hectic pace of doing & accomplishing. I am prepared for God's agenda, not my own. I await great things.
Thank you for taking the time to read this blog. I hope my open heart is helpful to any who have weighed in on this topic. Please respect my honesty and transparency by leaving courteous responses. Thank You!
No comments:
Post a Comment